Although I’m all for Arabization of all our church services, and they are, I still enjoy inserting some Greek chant here or there in our services especially in repeats. As you will see from the video below the mixing works very well.
I think you will see for yourself that the album of this concert is just amazing! Following is an excerpt about this chant and the album it comes from verbatim from the SEM Lebanon website:
“The Hymn of Hymns
A concert performed by SEM Choir (Lebanon) and Idimelon Choir (Greece)
A concert performed in the Concert Hall of Thessaloniki (Greece), by the choir of the School of Ecclesiastic Music in Mount Lebanon (SEM, Lebanon) and the IDILEMON Byzantine Choir (Greece), on the occasion of the DIMITRIA international festival – 2006
“How good and how pleasant it is for brethern to dwell together in unity…”. And how good it is for brothers from diverse ethnics and countries to meet for the first time, gathered by the Spirit, in the unison of the same melody and the same tone, as if they were taught by the same teacher although everyone sings with his native language. Despite their spread accross the whole world, Orthodox beleivers meet to glorify God in united tones, as a sign of their inttegral unity and thte unity of their faith and message.
This recording recalls the unison of psalters’ voices of Mount-Lebanon Orthodox Choir (The School of Ecclesiastic Music) – Lebanon and the IDIMELON Byzantine Choir – Thessaloniki, Greece, in a concert that gathered them within the scope of the international DIMITRIA Festival in 2006.”
Great Doxology Text:
- Glory to you who has shown us the light.Glory to God in the highest and on earth peace, goodwill to all people.
- We praise you, we bless you, we worship you, we glorify you, we give thanks to you for your great glory.
- Lord, King, heavenly God, Father, almighty; Lord, the only‑begotten Son, Jesus Christ, and Holy Spirit.
- Lord God, Lamb of God, Son of the Father who take away the sin of the world, have mercy on us, you who take away the sins of the world.
- Receive our prayer, you who sit at the right hand of the Father, and have mercy on us.
- For you only are holy, only you are Lord Jesus Christ, to the glory of God the Father. Amen.
- Each day we bless you, and we praise your name forever and to the ages of ages.
- Lord, grant that we may be kept this day without sin.
- Blessed are you, Lord, God of our fathers. Your name is praised and glorified throughout all ages. Amen.
- Let your mercy, Lord, be upon us, as our trust is in you.
- Blessed are you, Lord, teach me your statutes (3).
- Lord, you have been our refuge from generation to generation. I said: Lord, have mercy on me; heal my soul, for I have sinned against you.
- Lord, to you have I fled; teach me to do your will, for you are my God.
- For you are the source of life, and in your light we shall see light.
- Extend your mercy to those who know you.
- Holy God, Holy Mighty, Holy Immortal, have mercy on us (3).
- Glory . . . Now and forever . . .
- Holy Immortal, have mercy on us.
- Holy God, Holy Mighty, Holy Immortal, have mercy on us.
— Jack Rabah