After listening to probably 100s of masses in Greek on recordings and on TV, my favorite mass in Greek is that of The Greek Byzantine Choir directed by Lycourgos Angelopoulos the Archon Protopsaltes of Constantinople. What I love most of all about this recording is the accuracy, togetherness, and lively rhythm. Enjoy this sample:
- Bless the Lord, O my soul, and all that is within me bless His holy name.
- Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all that He hath done for thee,
- Who is gracious unto all thine iniquities, Who healeth all thine infirmities,
- Who redeemeth thy life from corruption, Who crowneth thee with mercy and compassion,
- Who fulfilleth thy desire with good things; thy youth shall be renewed as the eagle’s.
- The Lord performeth deeds of mercy, and executeth judgement for all them that are wronged.
- He hath made His ways known unto Moses, unto the sons of Israel the things that He hath willed.
- Compassionate and merciful is the Lord, long-suffering and plenteous in mercy; not unto the end will He be angered, neither unto eternity will He be wroth.
- Not according to our iniquities hath He dealt with us, neither according to our sins hath He rewarded us.
- For according to the height of heaven from the earth, the Lord hath made His mercy to prevail over them that fear Him. As far as the east is from the west, so far hath He removed our iniquities from us.
- Like as a father hath compassion upon his sons, so hath the Lord had compassion upon them that fear Him; for He knoweth whereof we are made,
- He hath remembered that we are dust. As for man, his days are as the grass; as a flower of the field, so shall he blossom forth.
- For when the wind is passed over it, then it shall be gone, and no longer will it know the place thereof.
- But the mercy of the Lord is from eternity, even unto eternity, upon them that fear Him.
- And His righteousness is upon sons of sons, upon them that keep His testament and remember His commandments to do them.
- The Lord in heaven hath prepared His throne, and His kingdom ruleth over all.
- Bless the Lord, all ye His angels, mighty in strength, that perform His word, to hear the voice of His words.
- Bless the Lord, all ye His hosts, His ministers that do His will.
- Bless the Lord, all ye His works, in every place of His dominion.
- Bless the Lord, O my soul.
— Jack Rabah